Search This Blog

Friday 6 September 2013

Lesson Plan Components-PIDP 3100

Lesson Planning Assignment: PIDP 3100 Foundations of Adult Education


Characteristics of Adult Learners
Learning styles
The resource I chose for learning styles can be found at: http://www.vark-learn.com/english/page.asp?p=questionnaire. I chose this questionnaire because it uses real-life scenarios as questions to determine a learning style. The site also provides a handout explaining each learning style, gives examples on how to intake and study information, and how to perform well in tests, exams or assignments. Having my students complete this questionnaire will help them to understand their own learning style and therefore do better in my classes. I will use the results to ensure that I incorporate student learning styles into my lesson planning and demonstrations.  

Creating a Positive Learning Environment
Classroom management rules
Creating classroom management rules will be a very beneficial activity to partake in for my classroom. I teach a class of up to 30 students and we spend 6 hours a day together over a six month period. Therefore, having a set of classroom rules that both the students and myself have created together can help us to keep on track, as well as, to remember to treat each other and the classroom with respect. I found a great article outlining how to make classroom rules and it can be found at: http://www.ehow.com/about_5094964_classroom-management-rules.html.

Motivational Techniques
Playing games
For the motivational technique component I chose a resource that incorporates playing a board game with students in the classroom environment and it can be found at: http://www.collaborativelearning.org/bloodcirculation.pdf.
I chose this game because it makes learning about blood circulation fun and interactive. Giving students prizes for winning the game will also help with motivating students to learn and participate. Using a game in the classroom will improve my instruction by taking away from the boring lecture and allowing the students to have some fun while they learn!

Instructional Process/Strategies
Ice breakers
The resource I chose for an ice breaker activity is called “people bingo” and can be found at: http://adulted.about.com/od/icebreakers/qt/peoplebingo.htm. I chose this activity because it is a fun and helps the students get to know one another in an entertaining way. The game focuses on a unique quality each student possess’ and it gets students to interact with one another by having them approach each other to find out who possess’ with quality.  This game will improve my instruction by allowing me to ‘break the ice’ between the students during orientation day.

Media
Video
The media resource I chose is a you-tube video called Scrubs Poo Song and can be found at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnIk0npINiE. I chose this video because it incorporates humour to a topic that can be very uncomfortable for students to discuss, let alone deal with. I will use this video as an icebreaker in the classroom for a class topic on elimination. Using this video will help to decrease the awkwardness of the subject, which will then in turn, allow the class to be better able to focus on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment